header title

search and social media

1/24/2014

MY FIRST HOMEMADE GUMBO

As sad and pathetic as it sounds I have finally made an attempt a my first gumbo. I researched a lot today trying to make a perfect seafood gumbo. Much to my surprise the gumbo was a success, the rice was not. I tried cooking rice on the stove (forgetting I had a rice cooker) and I failed. I honestly don't know that I have ever cooked white rice.  Well yes, yes I have. I used to cook it in a cooker after school for my mom, many moons ago. I will get better at cooking rice. I only eat white rice with Cajun dishes. Besides that I use quinoa or brown rice (boil n a bag). I thought the gumbo had great flavor. I made my own roux. Stirring constantly, never stopping, for an hour. Yep 60 minutes of stirring. Sabrina said it looked beautiful;  I am proud. 


First I chopped all of my veggies: onion, jalapeƱo, garlic, celery and green pepper 


Next I started my roux. After much research today I learned that no latter how many people you're serving the correct flour to oil ratio is 3/4 cup oil: 1 cup of flour. I mixed these and then set the heat to high. As the color changed I adjusted the heat. 






When the roux was at the milk chocolate color if added in my veggies. This smelt amazing. Too bad we can't record smell. 
It was then time to add in my water (some use stock) I cup at a time. It was time to season!

I let this summer for about 1.5 hours before adding my seafood. I chose to use shrimp, lump crab and crab claw meat. 

Maddox was eager to help!

I was afraid to cook the shrimp too long and them become rubbery. I cooked them for about 20 minutes. I could have let them cook another 5 or so. The left overs will be perfect though. 


Gumbo is always better the second day. My dad is coming over tomorrow to help us lay the master bedroom carpet so I plan to serve the gumbo. It's hard to serve a Cajun Cajun food. I'm nervous. Hopefully he enjoys it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment